Warm and Comfortable, all winter, all courses.
You can enjoy fishing no matter how cold it gets if you are prepared for it. If you are not ready for cold weather, you will be miserable trying to fish when it is cold.
Having fished comfortably in temperatures as low as 11 degrees F and with a strong wind blowing, about as cold as it gets here in Georgia. Here is how to stay warm:
Dress in layers.
- Start with comfortable, breathable, base layer thermal underwear and thin socks that will wick away moisture.
- Next wear insulated underwear - long johns - that fit comfortably. A top with a turtle neck will stop drafts.
- Top everything with a breathable, waterproof fishing suit, bibs and coat or foul weather suit
- Wear insulated boots with Gore-Tex water proofing. Make sure they are big enough to fit comfortably over your socks and not be too tight.
- Put on a beanie hat liner or a ski mask.
- Pull up your hood from your suit and tie it under your neck.
- Get some of the chemical hand warmers and put them in your pockets. You can quickly warm your hands with them and they will keep you warm. Put a few in inside pockets on very cold days.
Many people stop fishing during the winter. You can fish 12 months each year if you are dressed correctly. It may get too severe where you live to make the above possible, but most of us can go out and fish some during the winter.
Carp fishing in the winter can include long periods of inactivity. It is important that you stay warm, especially now that the weather looks as though it is ready to turn very cold at the end of January. Below are some hints and tips to help you stay warm during the long winter sessions. Most of this is common sense, but it doesn't hurt to remind yourself of the obvious now and again.
Stay Dry - Few things are as miserable as being cold and wet. Ensure that you have a good quality waterproof outer layer, stay under, at least, a decent brolly or preferably in a bivvy with an extra skin.
Be a Hot Head - As much as 80% of your body heat is lost through your head. Get yourself a decent hat and wear it all the time.
Hands- Get a good pair of gloves. A good idea is to get a pair that you can quickly convert to finger-less, to allow you full control when casting, reeling in and baiting up. You might also want to consider getting some hand warmers, a gel-like substance that warms up when squeezed.
Thin thermal socks and a really good pair of waterproof boots will keep your feet warm.
Food and Drink - Invest in a really good large thermos flask for day sessions and a portable camping cooker for longer sessions.
Dress right and you can be comfortable while catching fish, even on the coldest day.
When we look forward to enjoying our fishing there's one thing that's easy to forget - the extreme cold. Eskeez Thermal Base Layer Thermal Underwear is an outstanding complement to your fishing jacket or fishing suit or waterproofs. There is no other product range in the market that gives you this special combination of exceptional warmth, comfort and performance with no bulk to restrict your enjoyment of the fishing.
These super thermal base layers are specifically designed to give you the best weight to warmth ratio available on the market, whilst giving you full range of motion and staying put under your outer clothing, maintaining warmth and comfort whatever the conditions. Enjoy your winter activities without being packed out with unnecessary mid layers, giving you full range of movement without bulk.
- The sleeves are full length and neat at the cuff and won't ride up under your other clothing;
- The length of the torso covers your back, bladder and kidneys and protects you from draughts that dramatically reduce your body temperature;
- The fabric has a four way stretch that gives you a full range of motion and stays in contact with your skin whatever your shape or size; Stretch seams complement the fabric's construction and won't chafe or rub whatever conditions you are experiencing;
- The sports shorts and leggings have a deep and comfortable waist band which stretches to the full limit of the fabric and won't put undue pressure on the organs across your back – they are also adjustable with a drawstring cord tied at the front so they won't fall down when you move or stretch forward;
- The ankle seams do not ride up under your trouser leg and stay put through the duration of wear,
- The soft heat seal collar sits neatly under the collar of your jacket, stopping drafts and water as they try to creep down your neck;
- These fishing thermal base layers/ fishing thermals are washed and dried with ease either by hand or at 40 degrees enabling you to wear your Eskeez every day should you wish.
- They dry exceptionally quickly so even if you want to remove the layers and hang them for a short while they will be dry to wear shortly afterwards.